How Do I Clean iPads and Chromebooks?
Apple products are made with a variety of materials, and each material might have specific cleaning requirements. To get started, here are some tips that apply to all products:
Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
- Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage.
- Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
- Keep liquids away from the product, unless otherwise noted for specific products.
- Don't get moisture into any openings.
- Don't use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
- Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item.
Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my Apple product?
Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces. Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your Apple product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces.
(Original source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172 )
What You’ll Need:
- Microfiber cloth for screen cleaning
- Cotton cloth for keyboard cleaning (microfiber cloth can be used as well)
- LCD-safe solution (dilute 70% alcohol with distilled water)
A microfiber cloth is the recommended material when cleaning electronic device screens because of its soft and gentle application. Do not use paper towels, rags, or other types of cloth that are not microfiber as they could damage your screen. When creating an LCD-safe solution, the CDC states using at least 70% alcohol and 30% distilled water mix. Do not ever use disinfectant solutions that contain ammonia, acetone, ethanol, or of this sort as it could cause damage to your screen.
How To Clean and Disinfect a Chromebook:
- Power off the Chromebook since you’ll be applying a liquid solution.
- Remove any charger plug-ins, USB cables, or any other accessories. If you have a case for your Chromebook, you can separately disinfect the case on its own, and it is easier to clean this way too.
- Start with the screen - you will apply the LCD-safe solution to the microfiber cloth only and not directly to the device. Apply the liquid solution to the cloth so that it is damp enough to feel wet but not drip. Wipe the microfiber cloth gently across the screen in broad strokes and a back and forth motion. Try to not use circular motions as this can sometimes leave spots.
- Gently wipe the outside of the Chromebook in a back and forth motion similar to cleaning the screen.
- If wiping down a Chrome device with a keyboard, wipe the cloth gently between each key. Remember that this part of the computer is touched the most, so take your time and make sure the keyboard is thoroughly cleaned.
- Wait for the alcohol solution to dry and evaporate completely before turning your Chromebook back on.